Sunday, May 17, 2009


I spent a good portion of my day searching the streets and markets of chinatown for the best deals on food, dumplings and of course groceries for the week since I am on a budget.

I was inspired by an article on, Time Out New York. I was reading that there were multiple little restaurants off the beaten trail so I decided to check them out.

The first stop on my journey was, Prosperity Dumpling, (46 Eldridge St.)truly the cheapest and best dumplings that I have had ever. I got 8 boiled vegetable dumplings for $2. The most expensive thing on the menu was $3. They inside is tiny and crammed with just 7 stools for sitting. The best part was a little elderly lady that sat in the corner and spoke to herself in Chinese. I was waiting for a seat, and she patted the stool once someone got up and pointed for me to sit down. 

Next I made my way on the China Town Budget food tour to Lucky King Bakery, (280 Grand St.) where I induldged in an 80 cent peanut cake. As good as it was this was not all they had. There were an assortments of sweet breads, cakes with funny cartoon looking characters all for under $2. If this wasn't a bargain, then I can't tell you what is.

The next venture on my trip through chinatown was grocery buying. I had $35 dollars cash left in my pocket to spend on groceries for the week. I went through the market and got:

1 lb. of red grapes 1.39lb
2 lbs. dry roasted peanuts 1.00 lb
5lbs. brown rice 4.75
6 apples 5 for $2
2 lbs. snap peas $1.39 lb
2 lbs. bok choy  $1.80 lb
2 lbs. green beans $1.00 lb
2 lbs. red russet potatoes $.80 lb.

for a grand total of: $20.12

Thank you China town you can grocery shop cheaply in New York.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I adventure into the world to find beauty on the web and in my reality. I am seeking to inspire other artists, designers and creatives to keep pushing the envelope and challenge that which we know. This is a representation of my creative path and the adventure I am going on.